The Protection of People with Special Needs Act established a durable set of consistent safeguards to protect vulnerable persons from abuse, neglect and other conduct that may jeopardize their health, safety and welfare. Prevention policies and practices include:
- Pre-employment background check procedures which include the review of the criminal history of all prospective employees or volunteers.
- A Staff Exclusion List which contains the names of individuals who have committed serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect who are barred for life form working in the service systems under the Justice Center’s jurisdiction.
- A code of conduct which establishes a uniform set of expectations and basic ethical standards for workers who have regular contact with people with special needs.
- Audits of provider practices that impact the health, safety and welfare of people with special needs.
- Development and dissemination of abuse prevention materials and tools for staff, people receiving services, families and the community at-large, through training, presentations, community outreach and web-based resources.